April 2011 will be recorded as one of the most catastrophic April’s in history. The tornadoes, hail storms and high wind events that ripped across the US has left millions of homes devastated and homeowners scrambling to find reliable contractors to restore their homes.
The below image illustrates the path of destruction on April 27th, 2011: (292 Tornadoes)
The most widely reported on tornado devastated the City of Tuscalosa can be seen in the video below.
Tips for selecting a contractor:
1. Be aware that many restoration contractors will ask you to sign an agreement. It is important to thoroughly read the contract or agreement before signing.
2. Ask your contractor for references that you can call or stop by to see their work.
3. Ask your contractor to provide you with a copy of their license, solicitors permit, liability insurance & worker’s compensation insurance certificate.
4. Ask your contractor for a copy of their warranty and information whether repairs are serviced locally or from a national office.
5. Check for a local office, verify telephone numbers and where applicable ask for a copy of their business license.
6. Check to see if the contractor is a member of any regional or national industry associations, such as NRCA.
7. Have the contractor explain his project supervision and quality control procedures. Request the name of the person who will be in charge, how many workers will be required and the estimated time of completion.